Nice People Networking

DR News

Famous artist Ángela Carrasco to sing in the amphitheater of Puerto Plata, Aug 19th

PUERTO PLATA.- Song star Ángela Carrasco eagerly awaits her concert at the Puerto Plata amphitheater, where she will perform on Saturday, August 19th with Diego el Cigala at an event under the production of Luis Medrano.

The artist from the province of Dajabón will arrive to delight thousands of people from the stage of Puerto Plata’s Amphitheater.

“I am excited, very happy, and full of emotions to offer you the best of my repertoire, we will talk, dance and live a special night full of feelings and passion, I know that you will never be able to forget the presentations of Diego el Cigala and Chained to love will be a chorus of many voices, “added the artist.

Among Angela Carrasco’s songs are “Now or Never”, “Someone Like You”, “Boca Rosa”, “Quiet” (with Camilo Sesto), “Cariño Mío”, “Dos Cuerpos”, ” That love “,” I love you “,” That man is “,” Free yourself, release me “,” If you are my man “,” I want to die “,” Love me “,” My only friend “, among others.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News, Local Events | Add comments | by admin

Restoration Day on August 16th

The holiday commemorates the beginning of the Dominican Restoration War in 1863. The war ended in 1865 with the restoration of the country’s independence from Spain.

History tells that while the Dominican Republic proclaimed its independence from Haiti in 1844, the First Republic was short-lived. In 1861, Spain was invited to recolonize the country by the government of President Pedro Santana. Santana felt that the new nation could not resist Haitian occupation without being annexed to Spain. But the move was widely rejected by the Dominican people, leading to a guerrilla war against the colonial authorities.

On 16 August 1863, a group of rebels led by Santiago Rodríguez and Gregorio Luperón would raise the national flag on the Capotillo hill in Santo Domingo. The event is known as El Grito de Capotillo and sparked the Restoration War that ended in 1865 with the restoration of the republic. After two years of fighting, the Queen of Spain recognized the national sentiment and annulled the annexation of the Dominican Republic and the Second Republic was established.

Source: DR1

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

Back to school

Education Minister Andrés Navarro says all is ready for the start of school on Monday, 21 August 2017. 1,932,229 public school students and 568,000 students registered in private schools will attend classes this school year.

Navarro says that increasingly every year more students are leaving private schools for the free extended day public schools. He observed this year 60,000 students who had previously attended private schools have enrolled in public schools where parents do not have to pay tuition and students receive free school supplies, books and uniforms.

Many private schools have announced they start on Wednesday, 23 August 2017.

Source: DR1

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

40% of births in Santo Domingo are to Haitian women

The secretary of the Dominican Society of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Dr. César López, acknowledges that it is difficult to prevent Haitian nationals from entering the Dominican Republic to give birth.

He says public health statistics indicate that only one of out of three births in the border region of this country was from a Dominican woman. In Greater Santo Domingo, 40% of all births in the DR are to Haitian women. Dr. López says these are usually undernourished women that do not have access to prenatal care in their country and only see a doctor when ready to give birth. As a result, these women add considerably to the maternal mortality rate in the country. He said there is a high prevalence of AIDS, syphilis and tuberculosis and other complications among these patients.

The remarks were made by Dr. López when interviewed by Julio Martínez Pozo on Toque Final on Channel 7. He advocated controlling Haitian birthing tourism. He said the costly health complications eat up the budget available for normal health services at the public hospitals. “We are expending resources to stabilize a complicated patient in the intensive care unit so she does not die,” he said.

He made the comments in regards to recent statistics from Women’s Link Worldwide that place the Dominican Republic in the fourth place of maternal mortality in Latin America, only surpassed by Haiti and Bolivia.

Dr. López also was critical of the Medina administration’s decision to remodel 56 public hospitals all at once, which has created difficult working conditions for the physicians.

Source: DR1, Elnuevodiario

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

Dominican stowaway makes it to Miami on AA flight

26-year old Siomi Santos made it to Miami as a stowaway onboard American Airlines flight 1026. Santos was arrested at Miami International Airport when trying to legally enter the United States using a Jamaican passport.

Siomi explained he slipped into the landing gear of the American Airlines plane in the early morning hours when it was parked at Las Americas International Airport in Santo Domingo. He said he entered the airport through the cargo area. Airport security at Las Americas is responsibility of the Specialized Airport Corps (CESAC) and the Long Port Aviation company.

Santos would return to the Dominican Republic deported on AA1511 and was arrested by the Migration Agency (DGM) for illicit travel.

Source: DR1

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

Prosecutors check for more victims of priest

State prosecutors are checking for other victims of 41-year old former Roman Catholic Church priest Elvin Taveras Durán. He has been suspended by the Archdiocese of Santo Domingo. The announcement of the ongoing investigations into the murder case was made by prosecutor Olga Diná Llaverías.

Taveras is accused of the murder and sexual abuse of 16-year old Fernelis Carrión Saviñón. Carrión who had served as an altar boy at the San Nicolás Church in Villa Mella.

Taveras was remanded to one year of custody at the Najayo jail. Prosecutors say the victim was hit twice in the back of the head with a hammer, suffocated with a plastic bag and stabbed.

Taveras was arrested on Monday, 7 August 2017. He reportedly has confessed to the alleging he was being extorted by the boy who threatened to post photos of them having sex.

Meanwhile, relatives of the 41-year old Taveras interviewed by the media reportedly were in denial and found the accusations hard to believe. One sister said that Taveras was the pride of the family.

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

15% wage increase for hotel and restaurant employees

The Ministry of Labor announced that the National Salaries Committee agreed on a 15% increase for the workers of hotels and restaurants, and heavy farm equipment operators. The increase benefits employees of hotels, casinos, restaurants, bars, cafés, cafeterias, nightclubs, pizzerias, ice cream shops and fast food stores. The increase is effective as of 1 August 2017.

Source: DR1

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

DR remarks on military option Venezuela

The Dominican Republic is keeping to its position of passive action in the Venezuelan conflict. Foreign Minister Miguel Vargas Maldonado and former President Leonel Fernández this weekend expressed their opposition to outsider military intervention in Venezuela. They believe this would not contribute to the resolution of the political and social crisis affecting Venezuela. On the contrary, military action would only worsen the clash between President Nicolás Maduro and the opposition, Vargas Maldonado and Fernández have separately observed.

Foreign Minister Vargas specifically referenced as unhelpful the words of US President Donald Trump who hinted about a possible military intervention in Venezuela by the United States. He says that talks and a diplomatic solution are the best way to resolve the differences in Venezuela.

“An open, frank and sincere dialog is the best path to a national reconciliation agreement that guarantees the peaceful and democratic coexistence of the conflicting parties,” said Vargas.

“Obviously it [military intervention] would be a contradiction if what is sought is to solve an internal political crisis in a country in the region where, in addition, there is a democratically-elected government …,” said the Dominican Foreign Minister.

He said President Danilo Medina has invited the Venezuelans to hold the reconciliation talks in the Dominican Republic.

Vargas said that the Dominican Republic has purposefully not taken sides as the debate about how to resolve the crisis has unfolded. The Medina government position is that impartial arbitration is a vital component to resolve the social and political crisis in Venezuela. Vargas noted that the Dominican Republic has been a beacon of democracy in the region for six decades and is willing to work with all sides in Venezuela to resolve the conflict.

Former President Leonel Fernández in a Tweet observed that the military action on behalf of the US in Venezuela would be a historic mistake and the worst alternative. Fernández has participated in reconciliation talks together with former Spanish President Luis Rodríguez Zapatero and former Panamanian President Martín Torrijos.

US President Donald Trump recently stated that the US would not rule out a military option in Venezuela. Venezuela’s Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino López remarked in response that this would be “an act of madness.”

Source: DR1, Eldia

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

Gustavo Montalvo: Medina will not seek re-election

Presidency Minister Gustavo Montalvo tweeted yesterday that President Danilo Medina would not seek his re-election in the general election scheduled for May 2020. He urged the ruling PLD party to present new candidates for the 2020 general elections.

Montalvo posted: “President Danilo Medina will be in government through 16 August 2020. Not a single day more. The PLD needs to propose new faces to the country.”

The post follows remarks made by Roberto Rodríguez Marchena, spokesman of President Danilo Medina, who had stated that the President would adhere to the Constitution. In 2011, President Danilo Medina pushed through changes to the 2012 Constitution so that he could run for the Presidency in 2016. The PLD is absolute majority in Congress, with a majority of legislators being President Danilo Medina supporters.

The 2020 Constitution does not allow President Danilo Medina to run for President again. It establishes the possibility for re-election but then bans the President from a third term.

Source: DR1, Elcaribe

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin

Dominican Film will be presented at the T&T Film Festival (TTFF), September 19-26

T&T will present four feature-length films and over 34 short and experimental films during the T&T Film Festival (TTFF) from September 19-26.

One of those films, a movie adaptation of Michael Anthony’s Green Days by the River directed by Michael Mooleedhar and Christian James, will be the opening night film.

In a release last week, the festival announced most of its Caribbean line-up, which includes several award-winning and critically acclaimed films.

The festival will be held at MovieTowne Port-of-Spain, San Fernando and Tobago, as well as at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine.

The films from some of the Caribbean’s finest film makers include, from the Dominican Republic, Jose Maria Cabral’s Carpinteros (Woodpeckers), a high-octane, no-holds barred movie about a forbidden relationship conducted through prison bars and across the 200 yards of empty space dividing the male and female prisons in Santo Domingo. Carpinteros, which played at the Sundance Film Festival, has been described by critics as a “raw, intriguing and energetic blend of the tough and the tender.”

Bahamian film-maker Kareem Mortimer’s moving and topical film, Cargo, meanwhile tells the story of human trafficking from the point of view of reluctant trafficker, Kevin. An American exile with a gambling addiction living in the Bahamas, he begins smuggling Haitians to Florida in an act of desperation to keep his secrets buried and get out of a financial bind. In 2015, Cargo was one of 15 films in development that participated in the TTFF’s Caribbean Film Mart.

The TTFF celebrates films from and about the Caribbean and its diaspora, as well as from world cinema, through the annual festival and year-round screenings. In addition, the TTFF seeks to facilitate the growth of Caribbean cinema by offering a wide-ranging industry programme and networking opportunities. The TTFF is presented by Flow, given leading sponsorship by bpTT and the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, supporting sponsorship by the Inter-American Development Bank and UN Women and contributing sponsorship from RBC Royal Bank.

Source: guardian.co.tt

Aug 15, 2017

15-08-17
Category DR News | Add comments | by admin
Last updated August 15, 2017 at 6:47 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter