Red tape halts Punta Cana Airport pre-check for US-bound fliers
Santo Domingo.- The pre-authorization system for passengers traveling to the United States from Punta Cana International Airport (east) which was set to become operational in early 2017, has yet to take effect.
Punta Cana PR Candy Gómez said the company works with the necessary agreements to implement the pre-screening service for US-bound passengers.
“This will be a great achievement forthe airport’s management and for the Dominican Republic, the fact that Dominican and foreign passengers coming from this terminal don’t have to make the bureaucratic immigration and customs formalities upon entering the United States,” Gomez said.
She said Punta Cana Group executives have been holding meetings and contacts with the authorities to establish the agreement signed last year between the Foreign Ministry and the US Embassy.
“We are faithfully confident that very soon this year the Punta Cana International Airport will have this service that will benefit the passengers and the Dominican Republic, in a general sense,” the executive said.
Quoting a source at the terminal, outlet listin.com.do reports that the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) awaits the results of an audit of the country’s airports and the national aeronautical system, to start the system next February.
Jan 24, 2017
Category: DR News |