Propane gas station exploded on Sosúa-Montellano highway
PUERTO PLATA.- Moments of tension were experienced last night in the community Sabaneta de Cangrejos located on the Sosúa-Montellano highway, after a fire arose from the explosion of a dispenser in the propane gas bottle owned by the company Tropigas, which generated a tremendous “flare”, but no people were injured.
The fire occurred at 9:05 p.m. on Monday night, after a dispenser of the bottling plant exploded unexpectedly generating a flare that consumed the roof of the gas fuel station and the damages were reduced due to the fact that the fire emergency system was activated and closed the safety valves, thus preventing the flames from spreading towards the rear where the main tank is, which would have caused an explosion of unpredictable consequences.
As soon as the explosion was reported, several units of the Sosua fire brigades arrived to the site – Montellano and Puerto Plata, as well as brigade personnel and qualified personnel from the rescue and relief agencies such as Amber Rescue, Civil Defense and the SAR Rescue Unit of the Puerto Plata Air Base, who suffocated the flames
The mentioned incident kept the residents of the area extremely nervous, in addition the vehicular traffic got paralyzed fot more than 20 minutes in the section Montellano-Sosúa. Also it’s known, that the same plant packing of propane gas exploded in the 1990s, killing two people and where its owner Jose Castillo Capellán was severely injured trying to help several employees.
In relation to this new case of explosion in a bottling plant of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), still the authorities of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Environment, or the state security agencies, have said nothing. Apparently in this country money can solve everything in spite of danger that always lurks for the citizens who live in the vicinity of those gas stations.
Source; Detras del Rumor
Jan 18, 2017
Category: DR News |