Nice People Networking

Journalists’ alleged killer dies in confusing incident

Santo Domingo.- José Rodríguez, who police say killed two journalists in San Pedro de Macorís (east), was found dead Wednesday night in a thicket near the city’s Los Multi district.

According to authorities, the accused took his own live when cornered by police just 24 hours after allegedly gunning down radio journalists Leónidas Martínez and Luis Manuel Medina.

Area residents affirm however that there was a shootout that lasted around 10 minutes.

Authorities also said that Rodríguez was hiding in the sugar cane village of La Esperanza, and had been hiding out in a house of the area since yesterday.

It said Rodriguez was 59.

San Pedro journalist Carmen Natalia said that Rodríguez was the founder of the San Pedro Shooting Association, had ties to the left, and had been deported from the United States.

The Police has yet to release the official version on why Rodríguez was sought as the lead suspect. Initial reports circulating in the media are that he was unable to control his anger over a real estate deal that did not go his way and in which the broadcasters had mediated.

Source: DT, DR1

Feb 17, 2017

More on the topic: Dominican journalists shot dead during Facebook Live broadcast

Police confirm suicide of broadcasters’ suspect murderer

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated February 18, 2017 at 7:57 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter