Nice People Networking

65th anniversary of Dominican TV

On 1 August 2017, the state television channel celebrated the 65th anniversary of the first television transmission in the Dominican Republic. In 1952, the station opened as La Voz Dominicana. Dominican television followed the start of radio that began in 1943 with the same program founded in Bonao by the brother of Dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, best known as Petán Trujillo.

The television station would move to the capital to its new headquarters at the Palacio Radiotelevisor where it is still located now under the name of State Corporation of Radio and Televison (CERTV). CERTV operates Channel 4 RD and the radio stations Dominicana FM, Quisqueya FM and Radio Santo Domingo. All of these media outlets are government-owned.

The first private television channel was founded in 1959 by Pedro Pablo Bonilla, called Radio HIN Television (Rahintel, today Antena Latina) transmitting on Channel 7. Until 1969, all broadcasts in the country were in black and white. In 1969, Color Vision (Channel 9), a Santiago-based company owned by the Bermúdez family, was the first television station to broadcast in color.

In the following years more channels followed with a great expansion in 1982 when Telecable National began offering cable TV service in the country.

In 1995 Telemicro, Channel 5, arrived and more stations moved to UHF followed by High Definition.

To celebrate the anniversary, the director of CERTV, Ramón Tejeda Read, said that Channel 4 would be looking to make their programs more internationally available so that Dominicans living overseas could rediscover their roots.

Source: DR1, Hoy

Aug 3, 2017

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated November 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter