Nice People Networking

Update on the Los Haitises tragedy

Brigades of the Civil Defense on yesterday, 2 August 2016, recovered the bodies of three of four men that were shipwrecked in Samana on Sunday, 31 July 2016. These were Rafael Quezada, Alberto Santiago Rivera and Francisco Almonte. Still missing is the body of Yovanny Quezada. Earlier, the bodies of three women (Carla Mabel Reyes, Rosanna Vargas and Milqueya Cecilia Vargas Saldana) had been recovered.
There were two survivors, Ruth Capellan and Bertilio Nunez.
The director of the Civil Defense, Mayor General Rafael De Luna Pichirilo confirmed the boat had left port without authorization. Given the poor weather conditions, De Luna Pichirilo stated that the permission to leave shore would have been denied. The boat also did not carry life jackets, as is required by law.
The director of the Center for Emergency Operations (COE), General Juan Manuel Mendez said that the tragedy should serve as a lesson for boat operators and citizens in general to comply with rules that require that life jackets be carried on all excursion boats.
Survivor Ruth Capellan said she witnessed her friends, and her husband, Santiago Alberto Núñez, drowning.
She explained the party left from Varadero de Pueblo Arriba, in Maria Trinidad Sanchez province to Los Haitises. After an hour at sea, it started to rain hard and there was high surf that caused the boat to capsize in an area known as La Pesquera. Capellan said that along with the captain of the boat, Bertilio Nunez, she swam for about four hours assisted by a tree trunk she found in the floating in the ocean. Afterwards, she had to walk for about four hours to reach the town of Sanchez to ask for help.

Source: DR1. Lisitndiario

Aug 3, 2016

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated December 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter