Nice People Networking

‘Unannounced’ rules halt freight, forwarders slam Customs

Santo Domingo.- The freight forwarders grouped in NODECA on Monday picketed the Customs Agency headquarters, claiming that the recent measures are leaving hundreds of shipments and hundreds of containers stranded on the docks, others en route to the Dominican Republic,  and all those that have been received in the United States and Europe pending shipment.

The consolidators asked Customs director Fernando Fernández to seek a solution to the deadlock which if continues would lead them to bankruptcy, wiping out the more than 125 companies in the sector and eliminating the door-to-door deliveries they affirm harms thousands of Dominicans.

ANODECA spokesman Francisco Delgado said Customs didn’t announce or properly planned the change of rules banning appliances and worn clothing, the Agriculture Ministry requirement of an import permit for sacks of rice and other foods, in addition to having to present invoices for all items received by Dominicans, all without taking into account the in-transit shipments in and those in the country’s customs.

He said ANODECA regrets that in spite of their letters repeatedly sent to Customs officials have yet to receive any response so far, “especially in such a serious case for the sector, losing one million pesos daily and worse still, exposing themselves to be sued by customers” for failing to deliver their shipments because of Customs’ barriers.

Delgado said they are part of a transparent business, where they pay millions of pesos in taxes and comply with all American and Dominican regulations, creating hundreds of jobs in Dominican territory.

Source: DT

Aug 15, 2016

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated December 8, 2016 at 12:39 AM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter