Nice People Networking

Money available to help flood victims

In an interview at the Presidential Palace on Monday, 5 December 2016, Hacienda Minister Donald Guerrero and Public Works Minister Gonzalo Castillo said that the government has the funds to pay for repairing flood-related damage in 15 provinces. A state of emergency has been declared in the 15 worst affected provinces.

Guerrero said that the recently approved National Budget contains a US$100 million loan to cover this type of disaster as well as a further US$6.5 billion that corresponds to 1% of the same budget.

Gonzalo Castillo said that they are going to assess the damage, estimated at around RD$20 billion, and that they have already reopened some of the access routes to Puerto Plata.

Last week the Senate approved a proposal, authorized by President Danilo Medina, to declare the State of Emergency for the 15 worst affected provinces, which are: Puerto Plata, La Vega, Espaillat (Moca), Maria Trinidad Sánchez (Nagua), Santiago, Duarte (San Francisco de Macorís), Samaná, Sánchez Ramirez (Cotuí), Montecristi, La Altagracia (Higuey), Hermanas Mirabal (Salcedo), Hato Mayor, Valverde (Mao), El Seibo and Monseñor Nouel (Bonao).

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

Dec 7, 2016

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated July 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter