Nice People Networking

Haiti commits to issuing 112,000 passports

The government of Haiti has again pledged to issue 112,000 passports to its nationals residing in the Dominican Republic so they can complete the requirements for legalizing their migratory status under the National Foreigner Legalization Plan (PNRE). Applicants had already paid RD$1,000 for the document several years ago, but their passports have still not been issued. On a dozen occasions before, the government of Haiti has made the same commitment. Most people in Haiti do not have identity documents and the Haitian government has been lax in resolving this problem.

The Dominican government has granted the applicants several extensions acknowledging that the Haitian government and not the individuals was to blame for not issuing the documents.

On Thursday, 29 September 2016, the Foreign Ministers of the DR and Haiti, Miguel Vargas and Pierrot Delienne met again and said the measure follows up on the agreements reached between President Danilo Medina and acting President Jocelerme Privert during the 72nd United Nations General Assembly in New York City earlier this month.

In a press conference held at the Ministry of Foreign Relations in Santo Domingo, both ministers recognized the importance of making progress on the legalization of immigrants in the Dominican Republic.

During the press conference, Delienne said there was no ban on the overland entry of Dominican products. “There are no obstacles from here to Haiti and vice versa, following the corresponding customs procedures and by any route for trade,” he said. He said that he and Vargas had met on three occasions in the past month – in Port-au-Prince, in New York and in Santo Domingo. He said that both nations were working to create trade and migratory facilities, and discussing other ways in which both countries can work together.

Delienne added that Haiti had requesting technical assistance for the automation of the 9 October 2016 election. Vargas confirmed that the request has been received at the Ministry of Foreign Relations and that it is being channeled. Earlier it was said that there was no time for providing technical assistance due to lack of time. According to news reports, the Dominican Central Electoral Board (JCE) will be sending observers to the election.

Delienne and Vargas announced that the Bilateral Commission would be meeting again on 19 October 2016.

Source: DR1, Eldia

Oct 1, 2016

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated December 10, 2016 at 2:52 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter