Fired prosecutors and cops ‘vanished’ 950ks of cocaine
Santo Domingo.- The Prosecutor on Friday requested the transfer to an ordinary court, the case in which 950 kilos of cocaine went missing after raids by National Police Central Narcotics Div. (DICAN) in Santo Domingo East, which included senior officers and two former assistant DAs
The assistant DA Ramón Augusto Veras Castro and Máximo Antonio Díaz Ogando, who had been in charge of the prosecution, have since been suspended for their alleged involvement in the drug’s disappearance, for which lead prosecutor Jeremia Novas told the Santo Domingo province 2nd Court of Appeals that it had no jurisdiction.
“The judge ruled what it wasn’t a matter of drugs because no drugs were really taken… obviously a lot of time has passed during the investigation phase and the information that we had on the case itself. It would be good to ask them where they are” he said, in reference to the vanished cocaine.
The case will now be heard in an ordinary court in Santo Domingo Province.
The charges against the 10 defendants, former DICAN director Col. Carlos Fernandez Valerio among them, include conspiracy, money laundering and of forging the record of the raid at a condo in the Isabelita sector.
Novas said instruction judge Wendy Martinez Mejia dismissed the charges of drug trafficking and possession.
As defendants in the case also figure former Lt. Col. Felix Humberto Paulino, former Maj. Luciano Gómez, former 1st Lt. Barbaro Torres, former Sgt. Pedro José Almánzar, former Corp. Agapito Muñoz, former Sgt. Antolin de los Santos, former private Raydiris Lironely García and civilians Cecilia Castillo and Miguel Ogando.
March 18, 2016
Category: DR News |