Nice People Networking

Eight of 21 rescued from failed boat trip

El Dia reports that eight people have survived a failed boat trip to Puerto Rico. One of the survivors, Claudio Alejandro Tapia said that 16 men and five women left from Guayacanes beach in San Pedro de Macoris on Wednesday, 10 February 2016. He said that the passengers wearing lifejackets who went to seek help after a giant wave overturned the boat have not been seen since.

A fisherman at sea spotted the boat, which had been drifting for two days and alerted the authorities. They were able to rescue Hector Vicente Prado, Juan Carlos Peralta, Claudio Alejandro Tapia, Santo Israel Perez, Griselda de la Rosa Rondon and Josefina Recio. Several were suffering first-degree burns and severe dehydration.

The Police record says that the rescued passengers were from Villa Mella, Montecristi, Nagua, Santiago de los Caballeros, Castillo, Pimentel and San Pedro de Macoris.

According to the survivors, the boat captain was one of the people who had drowned during the crossing. They were treated at the Antonio Musa Hospital in San Pedro de Macoris.

Source: DR1, Eldia

Feb 15, 2016

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter