DR mission concludes humanitarian work in Haiti
Minister of Public Works Gonzalo Castillo has told reporters that the humanitarian mission from the Dominican Republic that went into Haiti following Hurricane Matthew is completing the process of returning with the final 30 of a total convoy of 500 vehicles coming back to the Dominican Republic on Wednesday, 27 October 2016.
Minister Castillo said Dominican engineers had reopened all of the blocked passes, restoring access to the town of Les Cayes. He reported that electricity service has been restored to all of the area after being brought down by Hurricane Matthew in early October.
In a telephone interview with Diario Libre, the minister said that they had fulfilled the mission entrusted to them by President Danilo Medina and were satisfied with the job well done. In addition to opening roads, the mission delivered food rations, and construction material to assist victims of the category 4 storm.
Gonzalo Castillo said that he had met with the head of the cabinet in Haiti Jean Max Bellerive and Haitian Minister of Public Works and Transportation Jean Evelt Eveillart to announce the withdrawal of the teams that had been working to repair roads and bridges as well as to clear debris and reconnect electricity lines.
Castillo told the press that Haitian government officials had expressed their appreciation for the quick response from the Dominican government and said that it was one of the most significant that they had received during this current crisis.
Source: DR1, Presidencia.gob
Oct 28, 2016
Category: DR News |