Cuban ballplayers safe; accomplices arrested
Dominican Defense Minister, Lieutenant General Maximo Munoz Delgado says that the officers allegedly involved in the defection of the two Cuban brothers, baseball players Yulieski and Lourdes Gourriel from a Santo Domingo hotel are under arrest.
While not revealing more names, he said Major William Solis of the Dominican Republic Air Force was named last week by the Cuban ambassador as one of those involved.
He said that standard Air Force policies would be applied in this case.
The two brothers defected on 8 February from the Cuban team visiting Santo Domingo to take part in the Caribbean Baseball Series that had finished the previous day.
They have now been talking to the United States Major League Baseball saying that they are safe although they would not reveal their location. The ballplayers hope to play for a Major League team this year. They now have to establish residency somewhere outside of the United States before they can sign with a Major League team and move to the United States.
Source: DR1, Sportingnews
Feb 17, 2016
Category: DR News |