Cholera risk warning
Hospitals affiliated to the National Health Service (SNS) along the border with Haiti are not prepared for the major threat of a renewed cholera outbreak, according to the National Nurses Union (Sinatrae).
Union general secretary Julio Cesar Garcia Cruceta highlighted that several health centers, including the Elio Fiallo hospital in Pedernales, as well as hospitals in Dajabón, Elías Piña, Montecristi and the General Melenciano Hospital in Jimaní, had nursing staff shortages.
There have already been reports of cholera cases in the Vinicio Calventi, Marcelino Velez Santana and Francisco Moscoso Puello hospitals with 71 patients with cholera symptoms. On Monday 24 October 2016, six cases were reported in Jimaní on the southwestern border with Haiti.
The Health Ministry’s Risk Management and Disaster Unit director Dr. Jose Luis Cruz said that they were taking steps following the increase in the number of cases in Haiti.
He said that as of week 38 of this year there had been 18 deaths from cholera and 1,070 suspicious cases. The Ministry will be issuing a preventative alert and is applying national and international protocols.
García Cruceta from Sinatrae said that the shortage of nurses was a serious problem and dangerous for patients as not only would they not get the care they needed but the same nurse would be working in several areas, which could lead to cross-contamination and the spread of the disease.
Source: DR1, Elnacional
Oct 28, 2016
Category: DR News |