Bark beetle wreaks havoc on Central Mountains pine forests
San Jose de las Matas, Dominican Republic.- More than 700 hectares of pine forest at Plan Sierra’s Celestina project have been decimated by a plague of “boring beetles” prompting losses of nearly RD$19 million.
Of the project’s 1,400 hectares of pine forest, 20 percent has been affected.
Other Central Mountains communities such as Restauracion, Monción, Jarabacoa and Juncalito, have also reported extensive damage, while the Environment Ministry stated concern with its spread toward Sierra de Baoruco National Park and Constanza.
Quoted by newspaper Hoy, Sierra Plan technician Juan Azcona placed production losses as high as 6,000 cubic meters of lumber.
He said in addition to the blight, last year’s prolonged drought countrywide only worsened situation. “The insect reproduces mostly in warm temperatures.” The beetle is also known locally as the “bark borer.”
To deal with the plague, the Environment Ministry said it designed an insect control protocol which has been made available to lumber producers, with local technicians and one from abroad.
April 22, 2016
Category: DR News |