Bad weather clears
The National Weather Office (Onamet) announced for today that the storm weather that had affected the Dominican Republic since Sunday is past but scattered showers are forecast mainly for the south, central mountain range and border area. Gloria Ceballos, director of Onamet, said that the center of the storm has moved on to Jamaica and the extended effects of high surf and thunderstorms have ended.
All boats had been told to stay in port due to large waves up to 8 feet in height on both the northern and southern coasts.
Earlier, the Emergency Operations’ Center (COE) had issued yellow alert for the provinces of San Cristobal, Peravia, Azua, Barahona and Pedernales, given the possibility of heavy rains that may cause flooding.
A green alert had been issued for La Altagracia, La Romana, San Pedro de Macoris, Hato Mayor, El Seibo, Greater Santo Domingo, Duarte and Monte Plata.
In preparation for the present peak of the Atlantic Hurricane Season for the Caribbean in general, Major General Rafael de Luna Pichirilo, director of Civil Defense said that they have identified 3,261 shelters with capacity for 825,267 people should they be needed, but first the authorities expect people to stay with friends and family should their homes become flooded.
Public Works Minister, Gonzalo Castillo, said that several bridges have been repaired in the south of the country.
Ceballos of Onamet reminded that the country is now entering the critical period of the hurricane season and the weather in the Atlantic Ocean has started to become very active. All hurricanes affecting the Dominican Republic in the past 100 years have occurred either in August or September.
Aug 2, 2016
Category: DR News |