Asonahores focuses on strengths and weaknesses for tourism
Speaking during an interview at Diario Libre, the president, vice president and treasurer of the National Hotel & Tourism Association (Asonahores), Simon Suarez, Rafael Blanco, and Joel Santos respectfully pinpointed areas for improvement in the sector. Asonahores president Simon Suarez called for more professionalism in municipal management to overcome the deficiencies that affect tourism industry. Vice president Rafael Blanco mentioned in the interview the need for traffic reorganization, better street and attraction signage, need for more sewage treatment plants, implementation of land order plans to reduce slums and illegal constructions, curtailing of illegal takeover of public areas such as parks and beaches, and ban on construction in areas in violation of established densities.
Suarez explained that the traffic bottlenecks on the sea-fronting Malecon in Santo Domingo have resulted in hotels relocating north in the city to the so-called Poligono Central. He said in this area better planning is needed, and is optimistic there is the talent and the will on behalf of the new city government, Ministry of Public Works and the Ministry of Tourism to carry this out correctly.
Suarez praised the efforts of Cestur, the specialized security force of the government, in keeping crime down in tourism destinations.
Suarez spoke of the need for the construction of a convention center and pointed to the study to this end carried out by the Ministry of Tourism. In the published interview, he did not acknowledge the RD$400 million convention center on the Malecon recently completed by the Ministry of Foreign Relations for the past 46th OAS General Assembly.
Suarez says the renovation of the Malecon is a big challenge for the incoming city government of mayor-elect David Collado who starts in August 2016.
Suarez forecast a new record in visiting tourists for 2016 at 6 million, given that in the first five months of the year 2.5 million visitors have already arrived. Hard currency receipts of US$6 billion are expected, while US$540 million is being invested in the construction of hotels so far this year.
Source: DR1, DiarioLibre
June 28, 2016
Category: DR News |