Nice People Networking

Violent deaths and robbery down as much as 16%

SANTO DOMINGO. Violence, crime and robbery have shown a significant reduction in the first quarter of the year.

A statistical report from the Observatory of Citizen Safety for January – March 2015, shows that in the quarter there were 453 homicides, which shows a reduction of 4% with respect to the previous year. The report adds that deaths from crime show a reduction of 10%; by unknown persons 36% and by state law enforcement agencies, 4%. This number presents a projected rate for these first three months of the year of 18.2 per 100,000 inhabitants.

The age group for most homicide victims is that between the ages of 20 and 39, in which 57% of the total violent deaths were registered. Likewise, the report stresses that 404 men were homicides victims, representing 89% of the total number of cases, while the remaining 11%, with 49 deaths, where women. The report shows that 66% of the cases were perpetrated with a firearm, while the remaining 23% of the cases were committed with the use of a knife. With respect to the deaths by firearms it is noteworthy that 41% of these occurred between the hours of 8:00 and 11:59 at night and that those produced by knives showed a 16% reduction in relation to the same months last year.

The report indicates, that with 37% of the cases, the public roads continue to be the most frequent scenario of homicides, with results that also show that 51% of the deaths resulted from circumstances surrounding a fight or quarrel.

Some 54% of the homicides were attributed to people who live together, 28% to criminality and 10% to the state security forces. The complaints of carjacking fell 48% and thefts fell by 30%.

Living together

Within the deaths classified by living together 74% of these are the result of a fight or quarrel, which are followed those that are attributable to family violence, with 19% of the cases within this category.

Regarding the cases of criminality, 41% of the deaths occur during a robbery or assault, while 37% are for attempted robberies or assaults, and the majority of these (74% of those occurring) are by use of a firearm.

Source: DiarioLibre

June 2, 2015

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 26, 2016 at 10:54 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter