Top prosecutor slams bill that would let civilians own assault rifles
Santo Domingo.- Far from halting illegal gun trafficking the bill that regulates weapons worsens it by raising risks to the population’s public safety, since it will fully open a import and marketing business.
Justice minister Francisco Dominguez made the warned Tuesday and questions an article in the proposed legislation which would allow civilians to own assault weapons.
“We cannot allow even in exceptional cases, that M-14, M-16 or Fal rifles, which are weapons of war, to fall into the hands for use by individual civilians, when they should be exclusively for military use” the official said in a press conference.
He said no one under 30 should be allowed to carry guns because most homicides involve people aged from 18 to 22 and called for tougher prison terms of up to 40 years for murder during a robbery or burglary with a firearm.
Dominguez said the draft passed by the Lower Chamber unwittingly revives Dominican Republic’s weapons trafficking industry, which had been controlled by Executive Order 309-06 of July 24, 2006.
“The worst thing is that most weapons used to commit murders, robberies and other crimes in the Dominican Republic are of legal origin, and weapons that have been stolen from their owners, and kill our women, our youngsters and many Dominicans.”
July 21, 2015
Category: DR News |