Today marks 69 years since the powerful earthquake that struck the country in 1946
4th of August marks 69 years of strong earthquake occurred in 1946, which was of a magnitude of 8.1 on the Richter scale and was felt in most of the country, causing major damage to the city of Santo Domingo and in the coastal towns of Matanzas and Nagua.
Around one o’clock, Sunday August 4, 1946, a seismic jolt of violent intensity and duration occurred in the city of Santo Domingo (then called Ciudad Trujillo) that caused such extensive damage to public buildings and dwellings of individuals.
However, the newspapers of the time did not reflect news about deaths and injuries resulting from the earthquake. But since the Trujillo regime had control over the media, this did not mean they had not happened. A telluric shock that followed by other shocks of major and minor intensity that had been extended until night, which determined that day many people left their homes for the night in parks and open spaces.
The earthquake on August 4, 1946 was a magnitude of 8.1 degrees on the Richter scale, it was located at latitude 18 degrees 7 minutes north and longitude 69 degrees 17 minutes West.
When the earthquake occurred, the Dominican Republic did not have the human or technological resources to locate and measure the intensity of earthquakes. All references to the earthquake in 1946 were transmitted by telegraph to the Dominican authorities from seismic stations located in the United States, Puerto Rico and Cuba.
The quake was described by the US and other countries “as one of the most violent earthquakes observed”.
Source: Puerto Plata Digital
August 4, 2015
Category: DR News |