Nice People Networking

Suspect In 2012 Murder Of Army Veteran Captured In Dominican Republic

BOSTON (CBS) – U.S. Marshals captured a man who fled the country after he was named a suspect in the 2012 killing of an Army veteran in Boston’s Theater District.

On Saturday, the U.S. Marshals Service confirmed that Peter Castillo, 23, of Salem, was arrested Thursday in the Dominican Republic.

He was accused of shooting and killing Stephen Perez, a 22-year-old Army veteran, following a fight in a parking garage in April 2012. Investigators believed Castillo fled to New York and eventually to the Dominican Republic after he was identified as the shooter by Boston Police.

In October, Castillo was added to the U.S. Marshals 15 Most Wanted Fugitive List.

Following his capture Thursday in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Castillo was brought back to the United States on Saturday where he will be jailed until police return him to Massachusetts, likely by the end of the week.

Related: Cell Phone Video Shows Fight

Castillo is facing first degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm charges related to Perez’s death.

“Undoubtedly, Stephen Perez deserved more, including a long life well beyond his 22 years. Today, our thoughts and prayers go out to the Perez family and it is our sincere hope that the news of today’s arrest will provide for them some small measure of comfort and relief,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said Castillo’s arrest is a major step forward.

“This defendant’s capture and return to U.S. soil is a major step toward justice for Stephen Perez,” said Conley. “It’s a moment his family, his friends, and his fellow veterans have awaited for too long. We expect to arraign him on a first-degree murder indictment at the earliest opportunity.”

Luis Sepelveda and Janice Hardy were both previously charged with perjury and misleading investigators, accused of lying to detectives and the Suffolk County grand jury during the investigation. Both cases remain open, Conley’s office said, and each will appear in court later this month.


Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter