Nice People Networking

Most imports of grapes, apples and pears is labeled “made in USA”

SANTO DOMINGO. A Christmas without grapes, and imported apples would be an unfortunate event for Dominicans. The same might be said about the pear. America is the country of origin of most of these three fruits that matter to the country. The consumption of these fruits grow in December, under the Christmas carols. But they are included in the ban announced Thursday by the Ministry of Agriculture, a move intended to prevent fruit fly to enter Dominican territory. The ban is imposed on the state of Florida, while establishing additional controls to the state of California, USA The measure also affects tomato, peach, citrus and cherry.

The good news, according Osmar Benitez, executive president of the Dominican Agribusiness Board (JAD) is that this ban should not affect prices or supply of these fruits at Christmas time, as they can be imported from other US states, or from the farthest market  -  Chile.

According to the website of Trade Map, on trade statistics for international business development, in 2014 the country imported fresh apple from the United States worth US $ 17.65 million, representing 95.98% of the imports of that product. US apples have become increasingly important for the Dominican palate, as imports have grown since 2010, when it was only the origin of 86.6%. During those five years, the country has purchased from overseas fruits worth US $ 88.05 million, of which US sold us on average 91.6%. In the case of fresh grapes, in 2014 from the United States they were imported in the amount of US $ 11 million, being 78.4% of the total. The remaining 21.6% came from Chile.
Between 2010 and 2014, the country imported fresh grapes worth US $ 50.2 million, and an average of 77.9% were from the US. In the case of imported pears, in 2014, USA sent 80.3% of the pear, worth US $ 2.4 million.

Source: DiartioLibre
Oct 17, 2015

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 21, 2016 at 11:57 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter