Nice People Networking

Long lines for new cédula disappear

SANTO DOMINGO. After the expiration of the old identification and voter registration cédula, the centers for issuing the document returned to normal activity yesterday with a reduced number of persons going to seek the new official document.

During a tour throughout different centers issuing the document reporters were able to observe that the lines had disappeared, in spite of the fact that there are still two million persons who need to obtain the new cédula.

The headquarters of the Central Electoral Board (JCE) itself operated yesterday with normality and with a considerable flow of persons, while some additional equipment that had been placed to speed up the process was withdrawn.

The same situation could be seen at the Election Board of the National District where reporters saw more persons looking for birth certificates than the new cédulas.

Rubi Morillo, a resident at Kilometer 11 of the Sanchez Highway, was one of the few persons in line to obtain the new cédula. “I decided to come now, since the number of people has gone down,” he indicated at the Election Board of the National District. There they were also taking down some tents.

In the meantime at the center which operated on the Gregorio Luperon Avenue, close to noon they had issued some 200 tickets to persons interested in obtaining the new official document.

At another point in the city, at the center on Santiago Street at the corner of Danae, Carlos Mejia waited for the new document after spending just 20 minutes there. He said that he had not gone beforehand because he lives outside the country, and that the process he went through was fast and organized.

Similar situations were also found at other centers-such as the one that operates on 27 February Avenue close to the corner of Dr. Delgado-where the crowd of people that was seen last week has disappeared.

According to what the JCE reported, as of last Saturday, 10 January, the date on which the old cédula expired, 5,255,130 citizens had taken out the new identity document.

It continues

The authorities from the JCE have said that the operation of issuing the new cédula will continue without any cost, with the aim of providing the more than 7 million persons who are eligible to carry the identification and voter registration document, with the document. They warned that without the new official document, persons could not carry out any sort of legal, commercial or banking process.

Source: DiarioLibre

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 20, 2016 at 5:21 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter