Judge sends seven of ten defendants in Peravia case to jail
SANTO DOMINGO. The judge of the Special Tribunal of Permanent Attention ordered six months of preventive custody last night against seven of the ten defendants in the case of fraud at the Banco Peravia.
Magistrate José Alejandro Vargas imposed the measure on Nelson Serret Sugranez, Jorge Serret Sugranez, Carlos Serret Sugranez, Pausides Morales, Nelson Cabral and the Colonel Florentino de Jesús Acosta, who were sent to the jail in San Pedro de Macorís. While Yesenia Serret Aponte was sent to the jail at Najayo Mujeres.
At the same time Madgelen Serret and Yomalys Fernandez were ordered to present themselves periodically before the magistrate and were slapped with travel restrictions. Maria Luisa Guzman was also ordered to post a bail bond of RD$200,000 and also received the same travel restrictions.
During the hearing, the Justice Department asked for changes in the request for coercive measures for Madgelen Serret and Maria Luisa Guzman. The District Attorney Yeni Berenice Reynoso said that this variation had been requested because both women, she said, had admitted the facts and cooperated in the case.
For his part, lawyer Felix Damien Olivares, the representative of the defendants, said that the escape of the principal directors of the bank was the responsibility of the monetary and judicial authorities.
June 26, 2015
Category: DR News |