Evaluation phase begins: The illegal foreigners have until 1 August to complete their files at Migration
SANTO DOMINGO. After finishing last Thursday 18 June, the registration period for foreigners, today the authorities of the Ministry of Interior and Police initiate the evaluation and analysis phase of the files of the persons who are registered.
While the clock begins the countdown on the 45 days which the illegal foreigners have to complete their case files and normalize their immigration status in the country, the fear grows among the Haitians of possible repatriation.
Yesterday the Deputy Minister of Interior and Police, Washington Gonzalez, reported that those with all the documents in order will receive a normal status. “Those that do not classify have the opportunity to file an appeal, and when the considerable time passes we have to do what is established by the law…. The repatriations will have to come, which in a process like this are necessary because not everybody is going to be covered under the rules established in the law,” said Gonzalez, in statements he made on the program “Toque Final.”(Final Touch).
Last Wednesday, the deputy minister of Interior, Luis Fernandez, announced that starting today the offices would be receiving documents from the persons who are registered, who have until 1 August to complete their files.
In the meantime while authorities are going over each case, the Haitians that registered under the plan are complaining about the amount of papers that they have to bring. They say that in the neighborhood boards and their employers don’t want to give them the letters that they request. Given the impossibility of obtaining the required documentation, many have opted to abandon the country voluntarily or wait to be detained and then repatriated. Others, trying to comply with the requisites, pay amounts from RD$6000 and R0$8000 to lawyers who promised them to put together all the necessary documentation.
A Haitian, Jacque Medina said that he paid RD$6000 to a lawyer, but he fears that the papers that they handed in our fake.
In the Mirador del Este Residence in East Santo Domingo, Orquidia Calix says she is convinced that the lawyers are cheating them. “There are many people here who paid the lawyer RD$8000, but this is no good, because when I went to Migration, I saw that they told the lawyer that those papers were no good,” says the young woman who is still waiting for the owner of the house where she works to respond to her insistent request to provide her with a letter of employment.
Angela Martinez was one of the few Haitians who was carrying out her business routine yesterday in Little Haiti, in the Capital. She paid RD$8000 to a lawyer, whose name she does not know, in order to obtain the documents, but she complains that there are few of her compatriots who can find this sum of money.
Those who accepted the plan should present, among other things, a letter of good conduct, a letter from the neighborhood board, from the church, invoices of public services and a work contract.
Yesterday, the representative of Amnesty International, Chiara Liguori, who is in the country to observe the repatriation process, demanded more flexibility from the government for the persons who have children born in the national territory before 2010, and that for some reason did not accept either the plan of normalization or the plan of naturalization.
She indicated that, so far, they have observed among the Haitians a lot of fear that they will all be taken. She referred to cases of persons who have sent their families to Haiti, in spite of having children born in Dominican territory and who are registered in the Plan of Normalization, because they fear the deportations will be violent.
Arcadio Sosa, of the Centro Puente (Bridge Center), issued, in turn, a call to the authorities in order to avoid abuses. He indicated that at this time there are persons who are “fishing in troubled waters” and are demanding outrageous payments from persons that need some documents.
Migration begins program of assistance for voluntary return
For several days, dozens of Haitian nationals have begun the return trip to their country. The transportation route from the capital to Elias Piña, which has two buses that travel daily towards Haiti, increased the number yesterday to four units in order to cover the demand.
“They always go on Sundays, but now there are many more. Among those that yesterday left was Michelle Dosenville, a woman who preferred to leave before she was taken out, according to her by beating.
Just yesterday, the Directorate General of Migration announced the “Program of assisted voluntary return for foreigners in an irregular situation” which begins starting today and will continue for two weeks.
Those who request it, will have free assistance and they will be provided with ground transportation and security to be taken to the port, airport or frontier port of convenience, according to a publication which appears today in paid announcements in the media.
According to Migration, those who accept this program of voluntary return will not suffer the administrative sanctions as established by Law 285 – 04, and therefore they can return as long as they comply with the required procedures.
June 22, 2015
Category: DR News |