Nice People Networking

Deported US citizens to face trial at home

According to the Public Prosecution office, on Monday 16 March 2015 a Santo Domingo court sent seven people accused of sexual exploitation of women to one year’s pretrial detention while seven US nationals have been deported after being arrested in a house where the women, many of them minors, were working as prostitutes.

The authorities say that this is one of the biggest sexual exploitation cases involving minors to have been uncovered in one of the country’s tourist areas in the last few months.

Prosecutor Jonathan Baro said that the seven US citizens had already been repatriated following an agreement with authorities in the United States, where they will be prosecuted for sexual exploitation of minors. He said that in the past, other US citizens have been deported and then sentenced to up to 20 years in jail for similar offenses.

The seven US citizens, whose identities were not revealed, were in the country as tourists and were arrested at a party where minors were working as prostitutes. The raid was carried out in Sosua on 11 March 2015 on a home in the luxury sector of Agua Dulce.

During the raid 29 women were rescued including 20 minors and the men had rented the home for the purposes of prostitution.

The seven Dominicans arrested include two women whose children were among the prostitutes.

Source: DR1, Eldia

March 17, 2015

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated December 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter