Dengue outbreak overwhelms hospitals
Public hospital outpatient treatment areas are overflowing with parents bringing in their children with high fevers, according to El Nacional. On Wednesday, 7 October 2015, it was reported that 65 children were being treated for the disease in just two public pediatric hospitals in Santo Domingo. Hugo Mendoza Hospital director Dr. Norvis Naut Subervi said one young girl, from Las Matas de Farfan in the southwestern province of San Juan de la Maguana, had arrived in a very serious condition. She added that yesterday, the hospital located on Charles de Gaulle Avenue in the eastern part of the city was treating 15 children including three in the ICU on Monday, 6 October 2015 followed by 33 new admissions that night.
Meanwhile, Dr. Jose Miguel Ferreras, director of the Dr. Robert Reid Cabral Children’s Hospital, reported that they were treating 29 children of whom seven were admitted last night and that two babies were in the ICU in a very serious condition. The doctor said that the patients at his hospital were mainly from the provinces of Santo Domingo, San Cristobal and San Pedro de Macoris. He said that most of the children were making satisfactory progress and that they were being closely monitored.
El Nacional reports that according to the Ministry of Public Health the dengue outbreak has increased. So far this year some 6,266 cases have been reported with 73 deaths as of week 37 of the epidemiological report. Last year there were 49 deaths. A total of 24 provinces are on alert, including Santo Domingo, Dajabon, El Seibo, La Altagracia (Higuey), La Vega, Independencia (Jimani), Hermanas Mirabal (Salcedo), San Pedro, Sanchez Ramirez (Cotui), Monsignor Noel (Bonao), Monte Plata and Hato Mayor.
According to Diario Libre, the main factors behind the high death rate include wrong or late diagnosis and poverty.
Source: DR1, Elnacional
Oct 8, 2015
Category: DR News |