Nice People Networking

Dengue death toll reaches 43

Santo Domingo.- Deaths caused by dengue fever totaled 43 cases as of the first week of this month, 10 more than during the same period last year.

Nonetheless, the General Epidemiological Directorate at the Ministry of Public Health says that the disease is within the safety range, rising at times to alarming levels.

The number of cases so far this year is 3,807 and 235 suspected cases were reported from August 2-8, including two deaths, for a total of 965 in the last four weeks. The provinces with the highest incidence are Santo Domingo, National District, Juan Sánchez Ramírez, San Cristóbal, La Vega, Duarte, Monseñor Nouel and Hermanas Mirabal.

The epidemiological report establishes the death rate at 1.1 per 100 cases of dengue.

The Robert Reid Cabral pediatric hospital has treated more than 300 children for dengue in recent months.

Epidemiologist Luis Reyes said that there are many cases and attributed it to the drought affecting the country, which leads people to store water, which increases the breeding grounds for the mosquitoes that transmit the disease, which if not correctly treated can be fatal.

The recent deaths registered by the authorities are of two children aged 11 and 13. The first victim, who lived in the neighborhood of Gualey, died after being taken to the Santo Socorro pediatric hospital on August 6. The second child, from San Cristóbal, died at the Plaza de la Salud General Hospital.

Malaria is another vector-transmitted disease, and nine cases were reported this month, eight local and one from the West African country of Burkina Faso, a 43-year old man living in Monte Cristi. The homegrown cases were in La Altagracia and Santo Domingo.

Source: Dt

August 26, 2015

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated December 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter