Colonial City hotel collapses
Part of the building of the 19-room Hotel Frances, located on the corner of Las Mercedes with Arzobispo Merino streets in Santo Domingo’s Colonial City, collapsed on Saturday, 2 May 2015 at around 10pm. No one was hurt, but the lobby area and a guest room section collapsed.
The 16th Century colonial mansion hotel had been closed on Thursday, 30 April as a safety measure by the management during the ongoing excavations for the installation of underground utility lines as part of the Colonial City renovation program. The guests were relocated to the other two hotels owned by the Accor Hotel chain in the Colonial City n the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando and Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo.
A press release from the Colonial City Tourism Development Coordination Unit said that they would be launching an investigation to establish what caused the historic building’s collapse, and to ensure that there was no damage to adjoining buildings. Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia issued a statement saying: “We are sorry about this incident. We have appointed a high-level commission, made up of experts, to investigate and submit a detailed report on what happened.”
Speaking on the Matutino Alternativo morning radio talk show today, Tuesday 5 May 2015, engineer Osiris Leon explained that the load distribution was affected by the construction works in an area that had been renovated in the 1990s. He said that measures to reinforce the structure before the excavations could have prevented the collapse.
Source: DR1, Eldia
May 5, 2015
Category: DR News |