Air Cocaine scandal updates
The Air Cocaine scandal continues in the international press now with former French President Nicolas Sarkozy outraged over the magistrate who ordered a probe into his cell phones linking him to the cocaine police investigation.
Local security forces uncovered nearly 700kg of cocaine on board a 19 March 2013 flight that would have taken off from Punta Cana International Airport to St. Tropez, France. The flight would be piloted by two former French military and on board were two other French persons. The case would take two years in justice prior to the landing of a 20-year conviction. But during the appeals process, the judiciary granted the defendants domiciliary arrests instead of preventive custody, leading to their James Bond-style escape from the Dominican Republic, despite their passports being withheld.
The Free Thought Process reports that the Dassault Falcon 50 jet piloted by the two French men had been regularly used by Sarkozy. Reportedly “there is a trail of paperwork connecting him and his associates to the aircraft”. It comments that Sarkozy is also known to have been on the jet on several different occasions while the operations were occurring, flying at least three times between December 2012 and February 2013. And that “ironically enough, he was taking those flights to defend himself in corruption cases that were entirely unrelated to the drug smuggling.”
A story in Diario Libre on 5 November 2015 reveals that for three days, until the escape on 18 October 2015, the pilots stayed at a Punta Cana resort, where they met with European Parliament deputy Aymeric Chauprade (National Front party) to plan the escape. As reported, the European legislator paid the bills of the resort with his credit card.
Adjunct prosecutor Bolivar Sanchez admitted that the pilots Jean Pascal Fauret and Bruno Odos roamed the country from beach to beach and hotel to hotel, despite having a 20-year conviction. He said the two left on a boat from Punta Cana and later transferred in high seas to a sailboat that took them to the island of Martinique.
Chauprade has admitted his participation in the escape in an interview published by Paris-Match. Sanchez said that Chauprade left the country on a regular flight two days after the departure of the pilots. On board the sailboat was French man Christophe Naudin who has revealed he coordinated the escape. He is a aviation security specialist. France TV has assured that the third man in a photo distributed on the escape of the French pilots is Pierre Malinowski, the parliamentary assistant of extreme right French politician Jean Marie Le Pen.
Source: DR1, DiarioLibre
Nov 5, 2015
More on the topic:
Category: DR News |