Tourism Ministry offers 35,000 hotel rooms under construction
Santo Domingo.- Tourism minister Francisco Javier García on Thursday announced that foreign investors have been offered 35,000 hotel rooms, whose construction had been paralyzed since the 2007real estate and economic downturn.
He also announced the start of construction of nearly 4,000 new hotel rooms by several investors in the coming months.
He said the sector’s major challenge is to build enough new rooms to accommodate the growth in tourist arrivals he affirms is setting records, as high as 13.2% in September.
“These projects are approved, have their environmental impact study, are ready for investors to come and reach agreements for getting capital, and with Dominican Republic openness and growth, it’s undoubtedly a business opportunity,” the official said in San Pedro (east), where he signed an agreement with (UCE) University to promote tourism.
Garcia said most of the investments are located in the eastern region including Bayahibe and La Romana, but also in Puerto Plata, Santiago, Samana and Santo Domingo.
Category: DR News |