Nice People Networking

Organic bananas doing well

Dominican bananas are competing with leading Latin American producers Costa Rica and Ecuador and are well known as one of the world’s sweetest varieties, says Ramon Fana of the Dominican Association of Producers of Bananas for Export (Asexbam), as reported in Fresh Plaza. According to Fana, association members will produce 380,000 boxes of first class bananas, 90% of which will be shipped directly to Europe and the other 10% to the United States.

Asexbam members cultivate both conventional and organic, fair trade bananas. Fana says that 70% of the local crop is organic and 30% conventional.

As reported, over the next ten months, Asoxbam expects production to increase by around 20%. As of January 2015, the price of 18.4 kg boxes is also expected to go up from the current price of US$9.60.

Source: DR1,

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter