Dominican Republic big business says no to wage hike for now
Santo Domingo.- National Business Council – Conep – executive director Rafael Paz on Wednesday called the labor unions’ subpoena to force an increase in wages “untimely.”
He noted that wages were raised just last year and in that occasion, it was agreed that the next increase would take place in two years.
“Therefore the last review done last year was a 14% increase or nearly 40% above inflation and the accumulated consumer price index, then the law is that a review which should proceed is during the coming year, so if the National Wage Committee hasn’t issued any call that’s because it’s being done been in compliance with the law,” Paz said.
The business leader said that currently there are no conditions for a increase in salaries in the private sector, because that depends on inflation and companies cannot afford it now.
Category: DR News |