Councilman’s murder: Agents raid city offices, seize documents
Santo Domingo.- Agents searched the offices of Bayaguana township Wednesday afternoon and seized documents linked to the alleged embezzlement of around RD$15 million, as denounced by ruling party (PLD) councilman Renato Castillo, who was gunned down last week.
Justice Ministry Anti-corruption prosecutor Laura Guerrero said the authorities collected documents as part of the investigation into malfeasance of funds in Bayaguana City Hall, and that the Accounts Chamber also conducts a probe.
She said if evidence of corruption is found, the Justice Ministry will charge mayor Nelson Sosa (Opy), now being held for three month pre-trial detention for allegedly ordering Castillo’s murder.
“This is a different process for misappropriation of funds over a specific period from 2010 to 2014,” the official said, interviewed on Z-101FM radio.
Also being held in connection with the murder are Prieto Cuello Soto and Severino Alberto (Cocky); and City Council employees Michael Bueno Peña (Michell) and Dauris de la Cruz, who allegedly hired the gunmen.
Funds provided by gold mine
On Tuesday Castillo’s widow Raysa Acosta said the RD$15 million were funds provided by the Barrick Gold to the city councils in the area of influence of the mine located at nearby Pueblo Viejo.
Category: DR News |