Barrick Pueblo Viejo ‘not responsible’ for claims of displaced people
Santo Domingo.- Miner Barrick Pueblo Viejo on Thursday said it isn’t responsible for providing solutions for the people displaced from the adjacent areas to the mine near Cotuí (central), and stressed that the Dominican Government handles the evictions which have taken place have been conducted under international criteria.
In a statement, the Canadian based firm criticized spokespersons for community groups who without proof say the mine pollutes the area, as well as the recurrent litigation over property rights, relocation and compensation payments.
“These allegations have already become cyclical, and as we observe, arise in very specific circumstances with the malicious intent of affecting the image of the company which operates based on the best environmental practices commonly accepted international and locally,” the miner said in a statement.
It also notes that authorities often examine the mine’s operations from the environmental standpoint and that Environment minister Bautista Rojas revealed that at the end of last year his agency had conducted 52 inspections.
As to the demands for relocation, Barrick Pueblo Viejo cited data audited by the government, which in its view the 416 families evicted were properly compensated economically, in adherence to World Bank criteria for those cases.
It said under those standards, the only people who qualified to receive new housing were those who lived on the land at the time of relocation, and upon proof that they didn’t have alternative housing. “Only about 65 families qualified, which were given their homes as agreed.”
Category: DR News |