Attention to increase in armed robberies
Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito told the press yesterday, Thursday 9 January that while percentages of homicides and femicides are down for 2013, the authorities are very concerned with the high rates of robberies and muggings. Speaking to the press at the Presidential Palace after attending a meeting of the National Security Council, Dominguez Brito said robberies and muggings continue to be great challenges for the authorities. He said that robberies were being committed by young men between the ages of 19 and 21 to buy RD$8,000 shoes, or to spend on alcohol and drugs.
He mentioned the recent cases of an Italian couple attacked while walking to their hotel in Boca Chica. The couple, Mario Feloquiario, 63, and Francesca Bumi are recovering at the Plaza de la Salud Hospital. The thieves stole the couple’s camera and wallet containing EUR50 and documents. The Police are investigating the case.
Dominguez Brito said that the increased patrolling would continue. “New strategies will be added and new technology will be used, he said. He said the installation of the camera surveillance system is delayed because the planning is taking time.
Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo, Police chief Major General Manuel Castro Castillo, and Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) director Juan Brown, also attended the meeting, as reported in Listin Diario.
Last week, the intensified patrols helped the police to promptly capture two armed men who had just shot a Swiss customer at the Red Grill restaurant on Lope de Vega Avenue in Santo Domingo.
Source: DR1, Diariolibre
Category: DR News |