A petition by Haiti postpones again talks with Dominican Republic
SD. For the third time the third round of high level talks between the Dominican Republic and Haiti was postponed. The talks are to take place in the tourist town of Jacmel, in Haiti.
The third round was reprogrammed for next 6 May, according to the announcement yesterday by the office of the Dominican president on his Twitter account @PresidenciaRD.
On this occasion the postponement of the meeting was at the request of the government of the neighboring nation. One of the tweets from the Presidency says that “the restructuring of the cabinet ministers in Haiti is the origin of this request.”
“The postponement is a mutual agreement between both countries and at the request of the Haitian Government,” another tweet says.
It was expected that the commissioners of both countries would deal with the issues of the agenda which would be to talk of immigration, health, tourism, commerce, among others.
It will be recalled that last Friday, the Dominican Minister of Industry and Commerce, Jose Manuel del Castillo Saviñon, said that the bi-lateral talks might be reprogrammed as to the date because of the changes in the Haitian cabinet.
Last week Prime Minister Lamonthe appointed Duly Brutus as the new Chancellor, changed 19 ministers and designated 10 new secretaries of State.
The previous postponements had been attributed to displeasure of the Haitians over the failure of the Dominican government to send the naturalization proposal to the Congress, after the conflict created with the sentence 168-13 on nationality.
President Danilo Medina got through a series of consultations with national sectors on the issue, principally the political leadership, and announced that the country would soon know about the Naturalization Law. He noted that it might not satisfy everyone, it did have the consensus of the majority.
Category: DR News |