UN to debate Egyptian bloodshed
The UN Security Council is due to meet in a closed emergency session to discuss the violence in Egypt.
The move comes a day after least 638 people were killed when security forces broke up the camps of protesters allied to the Muslim Brotherhood.
The protesters had been staging sit-ins for weeks, demanding the reinstatement of President Mohammed Morsi, overthrown by the army in July.
US President Obama has condemned the violence and cancelled joint exercises.
He said co-operation could not continue while civilians were being killed. However, he stopped short of cutting the $1.3bn (£830m) in aid, which the US gives to Egypt.
Egypt is currently in a state of emergency. The interior ministry has given police authorisation to use live ammunition in self-defence or when dealing with attacks on government buildings.
Many areas are affected by night-time curfews. The US has warned its citizens not to travel to Egypt, and says those already there should leave.
In the latest violence on Thursday, hundreds of Brotherhood members set fire to a government building near Cairo.
Local TV footage showed firefighters bringing employees out from the building – which housed the offices of the Giza local government.
State-run Nile News TV also reported clashes between Brotherhood members and residents in a suburb of Egypt’s second city, Alexandria.
Seven Egyptian soldiers were shot dead by unknown gunmen near the city of El Arish in the Sinai region, according to security forces.
Death toll differences
The government says 638 people died nationwide on Wednesday, but the final toll could be higher.
Earlier on Thursday, there were heated disputes between bereaved relatives and officials entrusted with documenting the causes of death, because the official death toll only includes bodies which have passed through hospitals.
Read full story on BBC News
Category: World News |