Malecón public ‘resort’ in Santo Domingo opens at noon
Santo Domingo.- The sand terrace or ‘resort’ with 12 swimming pools set up by the city authorities on the Malecón will be open to the public as of noon Thursday, said Mayor Roberto Salcedo.
The oceanfront avenue will be closed to traffic between the José Heredía and the Máximo Gómez intersections, and between 700 and 800 people are expected to visit the beach-style installations. Eight of the pools are for children, with a capacity for 40-45 kids, and the remaining four can hold between 25 to 30 adults.
While outlining the plans for the avenue next to the Güibia Park area, Salcedo said that he decided to repeat last year’s Easter weekend initiative because of the positive response it had received.
“I think that all the security and organizational measures have been taken and we hope that the residents conduct themselves in an orderly manner. We have prepared a program of activities, not just in the pools: there are inflatable games, we will have sports events, competitions, all in all, a very full program for residents to enjoy,” said Salcedo.
He said that the cost was approximately RD$8 million – “a minimal investment when you take into account the number of people who will benefit.”
Salcedo added that each person entering the area would be checked to prevent the carrying and use of firearms. Some 200 municipal police agents will be posted in the area and 14 security cameras have been installed.
Salcedo was accompanied by Fire Chief Oscar Guillermo García and Andrés Navarro, secretary general of the council, who also spoke about the plan.
Navarro said that the sand platform, the entertainment stages and the inflatable games would be installed as of Wednesday.
“We have parking areas on both ends of the closed streets and the area round the Hotel El Prado construction site,” said Navarro.
The council official added that there would be two bathrooms for each pool and that specialized personnel, such as lifeguards, would be on duty.
Category: DR News |