JCE head admits civil registry was run as a private business
Roberto Rosario, president of the Central Electoral Board (JCE) has admitted major institutional weaknesses at the country’s civil registry, saying that it operated like a business for civil registry officials until 2007. He made the comments when meeting a group of 18 lawyers who visited the JCE yesterday, Monday 21 October to request information and certified copies of the research carried out so far into forgery of public record books and identity documents, fraudulent statements and use of forged documents, including cases presented to the judiciary.
Rosario said: “Up until 2007, what existed was an assault on the civil registry and that is because the civil registry while public was privately operated and in that condition the civil registry offices acted as small companies and that is all that can explain the actions of those citizens,” he said. He was commenting on irregularities in the processing of identity documents that lead to forged documents for those found to be involved in sports fraud, crimes or migration fraud. In the case of the irregularities, he said investigations after 2007 showed that the regular steps were not finalized in the procedures.
Rosario said that in an upcoming meeting the members of the JCE would hear the case of Haitian citizen William Medina who testified before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights posing as a Dominican, which was disputed by the Dominican Republic in a video, as reported in El Caribe.
Lawyers Cesar Alcantara Morales, Cristina Aguiar and Juan Miguel Castillo Pantaleon made the request at the JCE’s freedom of information office. Other lawyers participating in the effort are Jose Fernando Perez Volquez, Manuel Antonio Nolasco Benzo, Jazeel Antonio Pimentel Martinez, Jose Oscar de la Rosa Luna, Trajano Vidal Potentini, Rene Perez Blac, Ramon Andres Blanco Fernandez and Tirso Sepulveda.
“We are just citizens, we have no political affiliation, and are not members of any non-government organization, we do not receive subsidies from abroad. We are here in our capacity as citizens of the Dominican Republic,” said Aguiar.
In her opinion, the proposal for regularizing the status of foreigners living in the country is the measure that should be adopted so that people who are here illegally can regularize their status.
The lawyers plan to present legal cases against the violations of the civil registry books and documents to judicial authorities requesting that the government officials, institutions or third parties involved in the fraudulent actions should be investigated, prosecuted and sent to justice.
Source: DR1, Diariolibre.com
Category: DR News |