Nice People Networking

Dominican Republic President revokes electricity rate increase

The Superintendent of Electricity Eduardo Quincoces told Santo Domingo journalists yesterday, Monday 2 September, that the electricity tariffs would not go up in September as had been announced the previous day. The Superintendence had announced a leveling of the BTS1 residential and BTS2 commercial rates.

Quincoces denied claims that the Public Electricity Corporation (CDEEE) executive vice president Ruben Jimenez Bichara had not been informed of the increase.

The Administrative Minister for the Presidency Jose Ramon Peralta later said that the increase had not been fully discussed with the President beforehand. He said that he had been told that unifying the rate for the commercial and residential sectors would not result in a price increase, hence the reason for his phone call revoking the increase.

In defending the increase, the Superintendent had warned that electricity rates have now been frozen for 20 months and that if the rate were to reflect the true increase in costs it should be increased by 50% and not the 1% to 4.2% that had been announced.

In an editorial today, Tuesday 3 September, El Dia says that what should cause most concern is that the announcement of the rate followed by the revocation reveals a lack of a defined government policy on electricity. The editorialist says that there is a basic structural problem that will only be solved if all the stakeholders put their cards on the table and priority is given to the national interest. The editorialist called for the discussion of the electricity pact as set out in the National Development Strategy Law.

Source: Bajan Reporter

Category: DR News |

  1. Samson

    Can we expect to have a constant supply in the future? What is being done about that?

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated October 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter