Dengue on the rise again
The influx of patients with symptoms of dengue in public hospitals and private clinics in Santiago and Moca continued to increase on Saturday, 27 July, and doctors said that it was due to the fact that many people are not taking preventative measures to avoid becoming infected with the disease.
Rosanna Fuerte, medical director of the public hospital, Toribio Bencosme in Moca, said that up to Saturday, there were 36 patients admitted with suspected dengue. Amongst those were 9 children, 12 women and the rest were men. Other patients were in hospitals and clinics in Santiago and Moca.
She said that most of the patients were from the lower part of Moca and so far there were no deaths.
Doctor Fuerte asked the local population to take preventive measures such as keeping their surrounding clean, removing rubbish, tires and vases and other places where the mosquitoes that transmit the disease could breed. She urged stored water to be covered.
Residents of the affected areas said that there was almost no water, so people had to store it creating breeding ground for mosquitos. The areas included Bonagua, El Aguacate, La Soledad, Zafarraya, Barrio Manuel Rodriguez, La Saona and other places in and around Moca.
Category: DR News |