Barrick Gold defends operation as Dominican Republic retains shipment
Santo Domingo.- Barrick Gold Corp. on Monday defended its operations in Dominican Republic while Customs retains a shipment amid the months-long standoff with the government over profits from the mine at Pueblo Viejo (northeast).
Customs has held the Canadian miner’s latest shipment of around 1,264 kilos of gold since May 1, claiming “constant irregularities” in shipping documents, denied by Barrick in a statement that “all documentation for shipments made to date has been inspected and approved,” by the Customs office.
Barrick Gold said it didn’t know why the cargo was being held since last week because, it affirms, hasn’t received notice of violations or fines by Customs thus far.
It said whenever Customs “notifies us of a change in export procedures, we proceeded to adopt them.”
The Canadian company has shipped 27 loads of doré thus far, but noted that only two have had “problems” Barrick says stem from limitations of Customs own Integrated Management System (SIGA).”
Barrick Gold says “in all” aspects of their operations in the country, it “fully pursues compliance with all laws and regulations established by the national authorities and we expect that normalization procedures continue to export, as has been done with the 27 previous shipments, all authorized by Customs.”
Barrick’s gold mine near the city of Cotui is among the world’s largest, and whose millions worth of gold shipments have been held since March for alleged customs violations, just weeks after president Danilo Medina issued a deadline to renegotiate the contract he called detrimental to national interests.
Category: DR News |