A group of 35 men headed by a retired general raided the Dream Casino
Santo Domingo.- A group of around 35 men headed by a retired general identified only as Fructuoso raided the Dream Casino on Thursday and hauled away half a million dollars, according to the employees.
The money was in six suitcases guarded in as many vaults on the building’s 5th and 6th floors, located on Los Próceres Av, in the National District’s upscale sector of Arroyo Hondo.
Local media report that the daring assault occurred around 8 am with the attackers rushed into the place packing rifles and shotguns to casino employees pointed and went straight toward the vaults which the retired general allegedly had keys to, because he had been the casino’s security chief just two months ago.
National District Police commander Romel Lopez said 19 men were arrested, two vehicles and six firearms were seized.
The casino’s lawyer Francisco Fernández said the assailants robbed wallets, cell phones and other valuables from all employees, on threats of death.
Fernández said the assault stems from of a dispute between two companies from Canada.
More than 50 police agents and judicial officials arrived on the scene after receiving calls by startled witnesses.
Category: DR News |