North Korea launches long-range rocket
North Korea has launched a long-range rocket, according to South Korea and the United States. The planned launch has been widely condemned by the international community, which has accused North Korea of trying to develop its military technology.
Pyongyang said that the rocket would peacefully advance its space programme.
Reports from US, South Korean and Japanese officials suggest the launch failed shortly after take-off.
“The flying object is believed to have flown for more than one minute and fallen into the ocean. This does not affect our country’s territory at all,” news agency AFP quoted Japanese Defence Minister Naoki Tanaka as saying.
South Korean defence officials told reporters they believed the rocket had “disintegrated into several pieces” minutes after it launched.
Japan and South Korea had previously warned that they will shoot the rocket down if it enters their territory.
South Korean Defence Ministry spokesperson Kim Min-seok told reporters that the rocket has been fired at 07:39 local time (22:39 GMT Thursday).
There has so far been no word from North Korea about the launch.
Read full story on BBC News
Category: World News |