Scuba divers left behind in Florida
The US Coast Guard said Tuesday it was investigating a Florida tourism company that left behind two tourists while they were scuba diving.
The tourists — Paul Kline and Fernando Garcia Puerta — were rescued by a private yacht which found them clinging to a buoy in shark-infested waters. “The incident is under investigation,” Coast Guard spokeswoman Sabrina Elgammal told AFP. “We got a call that the two people were picked up in the sea and there was no medical harm and they went back to port,” she said.
RJ Diving Ventures of Miami Beach took a group of 30 people, including Kline and Garcia, in a boat to scuba dive in the open ocean, the Miami Herald reported. When Kline and Garcia surfaced, however, they found that the boat had gone. “We were in shock,” Kline, 44, told the newspaper. “We could easily have died.”
RJ Diving Ventures did not respond to requests for comment.
The two said they clung to a fishing buoy and around 6:00 pm as it was getting dark they were spotted by passengers on a yacht. “We could see two divers with all their equipment and an inflated red tube,” the yacht’s capitan Elie Trichet told the Herald. “You could notice a strong feeling of relief” Trichet said. “They had been clinging to that buoy for two hours hoping somebody would rescue them.”
Category: World News |