Nice People Networking

Cholera death toll rises to 36, doctors and nurses go on strike

While the cholera epidemic that broke out  in November last year killing 36 persons so far, doctors and nurses at  one of the few hospitals in with the capacity to treat cholera patients  went on strike this week after a nurse became infected with the disease.

The  latest cholera victims in the country are a one-year-old little girl,  who lived in Los  Mina and who received medical attention at the San Lorenzo Maternity  Hospital, and the other is a woman, 52, from Elias Piña province. Health  officials said the number of infections grew from 1,288 to 1,563.

Nurse Ramona Rivera is suspected of having  contracted cholera this week while handling the waste of other cholera  patients at the hospital in the capital, Santo Domingo.

According to Felipe  de la Rosa, general secretary for a medical workers union, workers are demanding better sanitary  conditions at Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital, which often lacks  water, medication and a system to safely dispose of waste.

Health  Minister Bautista Rojas criticized the strike as an inconsiderate act  toward the most vulnerable population, while Senen Caba, president of  the Dominican Medical Association, said the strike will continue  indefinitely until conditions improve.

Source: Dominican Today

Cholera in Casa de Campo, Can we trust Dominican government data?

More than 144 connected with/or of the 500 VIP guests invited to Victor Vargas wedding  party in Casa de Campo got cholera. Among the famous infected  with cholera was Ricardo Harzoury (owner of Cap Cana). According to local  media the government tried to hide this serious cholera outbreak from  the public, and now the transparency with which the authorities are  handling the cholera cases is put in doubt.

Read more on Domincan Watchdog

Category: DR News |

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated December 5, 2016 at 9:13 AM
stats for wordpress
View Statistics Report
Facebook Twitter